‘Save Ruskin’s View’ – Fundraising Co-ordinator
Kirkby Lonsdale Town Council (KLTC) are leading a project to save and secure the renowned ‘Ruskin’s View’ & Church Brow footpath; a culturally important historic viewpoint and public walkway in Kirkby Lonsdale running along the banks of the river Lune. The view was painted by JMW Turner in 1822 and described by John Ruskin in 1875 as ‘one of the loveliest views in England, therefore in the world’. It has since been the source of inspiration for many artists and enjoyed by thousands of locals and visitors every year.
Due to significant erosion, the footpath is now closed on public safety grounds. The KLTC are embarking on a campaign to raise circa £1m which is needed to carry out major structural works to stabilise the area, prevent the further erosion of the riverbank, and reopen the walkway to the public.
We are looking for an enthusiastic, hard-working individual to coordinate the fundraising campaign, working closely with the Fundraising Working Group to deliver the fundraising strategy to secure the funds needed to ‘Save Ruskin’s View’. Duties and responsibilities will include:
- Communication & Marketing: Communicating with the community, stakeholders, and funders; keeping people informed and involved in the project, via social media, relevant online platforms, and correspondence. Developing appropriate marketing content & material to support fundraising activity.
- Recording: Establishing and maintaining accurate, GDPR-compliant, funder and donor records and systems (CRM Management), keeping track of donations and financial targets.
- Reporting: Regularly reporting to the Fundraising Working Group, the KLTC and to funders & donors as and when required.
- Researching: Continuing to research fundraising opportunities, including trusts & foundations, public funders, sponsorship opportunities, and private donors.
- Preparing funding applications: Preparing and submitting grant applications, carrying out careful research to ensure the applications are as strong as possible and include relevant data and case studies.
- Events: Identifying and leading on local fundraising initiatives and events, together with public consultations and profile-raising events.
- Partnership working: Working with local groups, schools, and organisations to develop project activities and public engagement.
- Any other duties deemed reasonable by the Fundraising Working Group.
The ideal candidate will share our passion to save this well-loved local site.
– Outstanding communicator; strong written and verbal communication skills
– Some prior experience of fundraising work. This could be in a paid role, or on a voluntary basis or as part of work experience.
– Excellent organisational skills; able to prioritise, multitask and manage work to deadlines.
– High computer literacy
– Ability to multi-task and manage time effectively
– Adaptable and open to learning and feedback.
– Experience of managing records /systems to record & manage data.
– Experience of working with social media and online platforms
– Experience of preparing and submitting grant applications
– Experience of GDPR & CRM systems
– Events management experience
– Customer service experience
– Experience of working to financial targets
– Good knowledge of the local area and stakeholders
– Experience of building relationships with stakeholders.
– Marketing and / or PR experience
Hours and Start Date
Contract and working hours: Hours will be flexible but amounting to an average of two days per week, with a twelve-month contract initially. We hope to start this position as soon as possible. The rate of pay will be in the order of £15 per hour depending on experience.
Start date: May/June 2022
How to Apply
Application process: If you would like to apply please send your CV with a covering letter to Mike Burchnall at MikeBurchnall@gmail.com
The position will close when a suitable candidate is identified, so expressions of interest should be submitted as soon as possible. We intend to interview soon after shortlisting.
To discuss further details of the role, payment etc please contact Mike Burchnall by email as above or on 07792197580.
Thank you for taking an interest in this position.