Deadline: 8th August 2022
Would you like to contribute to our community, helping visitors and locals to get the most from our lovely town? Do you have retail management experience? This could be the role for you.
Kirkby Lonsdale & Lune Valley Community Interest Company (CIC) are looking for a Shop Manager to manage the Information & Gift Shop on Main Street in Kirkby Lonsdale, working alongside a Marketing and Events Manager.
This is an exciting opportunity to work at the heart of the Kirkby Lonsdale community, developing the CIC’s presence on the high street. The role involves running the Information & Gift Shop in the centre of town, managing a team of dedicated volunteers who staff the shop and provide information for locals & visitors and sell goods which generate funds for the information service and local amenities. The shop also promotes and sells the work of local craftspeople. Additionally it hosts a free interactive and educational installation called The Vault which tells the stories of Kirkby Lonsdale, created in partnership with local creatives and the Yorkshire Dales National Park.
Objectives and tasks will include:
- Making decisions on stock levels, stock range, and pricing.
- Recruit, train and support team of volunteers who staff the shop, encouraging their contribution to ideas and improvements.
- Keep records to analyse sales figures and footfall, and respond to results.
- Authorise payment of invoices received and issue invoices as required.
- Ensure shop is a welcoming, practical environment which encourages sales.
- Hold special promotions, displays and events when appropriate.
- Promote our exclusive attractions, The Vault, and guided walks.
- Work with our Marketing and Events Manager to promote the shop and the town, and to be point of contact when necessary.
- Encourage local suppliers, especially craftspeople, to use the shop as an outlet
- Maximise income and minimise costs, increase profit margin year on year.
- Have the shop open for a minimum of six hours daily, seven days a week.
- Achieve 80% positive customer feedback/satisfaction.
The post-holder will be directly responsible to the CIC Board working through a nominated Director. The working week is a flexible 20 hours which will include one Sat/Sun in four. The post-holder will be based at the shop. Salary negotiable depending on experience.
We are looking for a community minded individual who has substantial experience of working in a customer facing retail setting. You will have experience of managing stock, pricing and liaising with suppliers while promoting the work of local crafts people. Experience of leading and motivating a team and engaging with colleagues and stakeholders is essential. Knowledge of the local area and an appreciation for the Lune Valley as a tourist destination are key to the job. Experience of providing information as well as retail would be beneficial.
About Kirkby Lonsdale & Lune Valley CIC
The CIC is a not-for-profit company set up to benefit the community and sustain the town’s vitality and viability. We work closely with our community to promote and facilitate events and bring visitors to the town, running the Information & Gift Shop, the weekly charter market and public amenities. We communicate regularly with individuals, volunteers and businesses via our website, social media accounts and community share meetings.
Please send a CV and covering letter, setting out how you meet the requirements of the role, to email@example.com by 8th August, 2022. If you have any questions or would like to discuss the role in more detail, drop a line to the same email address, firstname.lastname@example.org and one of the Directors will get in touch. Please write ‘Vacancy’ in the Subject line of your email.